Image Map

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Preparing for Another Year

I teach between two rural schools all school year. I absolutely love what I do, but there are obviously some disadvantages of teaching between two schools. One of them is that you have to decorate not just one room, but two!

This year I was a little smarter about how I worked in my classrooms. At the end of the school year I already prepared both of my bulletin boards in Bonduel. Bonduel finished school about 3 days earlier than Fairview. That meant that I could work my normal school hours by teaching at Fairview then driving to Bonduel and working in my classroom. By the time school was officially out, my bulletin boards were prepared for the 2012-2013 school year:

DSCN2071
The first bulletin board used a black tablecloth as the background. I bought the downloadable and printable components of this bulletin board at the Music Bulletin Board website (great site for music educators to get ideas for bulletin boards). You can go to the downloadables part of the site and they have all sorts of great bulletin board sets. It is especially great for teachers like myself who have to work in two different classrooms. This way I can print off the items more than once and use them in both schools for the price of just ONE download.

This bulletin board highlights how music is related to all the subjects. The music notes explain 'how?' in more detail. It is a great reminder to everyone that comes into my classroom, why music is more than just a 'fun' class. It helps students grow academically AND emotionally.

DSCN2072DSCN2073DSCN2074

The second bulletin board was also an idea I got from the Music Bulletin Board Website. It says conduct yourself accordingly and it has classroom expectations, as well as, concert etiquette:
DSCN2076

To finish decorating Bonduel, I added a music alphabet (I drew all the pictures, colored them, and then laminated them). I did NOT create the characters, but used characters from Freddie the Frog by Sharon Burch. Sharon is a music teacher who wrote a series that teaches young kids about the notes on the treble and bass clef stalves. Students love learning about Freddie, his friends, different tempos, music notes, rhythms, and scatting.

DSCN2068DSCN2069
I also created two simple posters. I created posters because they are simple to take down and put up as the seasons change:

DSCN2081
DSCN2083

Finally, I moved around the piano, changed my seating arrangement, and added posters of the instruments of the orchestra:
DSCN2078
DSCN2079
DSCN2066
DSCN2064

If you would like to see more pictures of my classroom in Bonduel, please check out my Flickr Account.
Thanks for Reading!

2 comments :

  1. I absolutely love your "conduct yourself accordingly" wall! I may have to use that one! Love love love your blog! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I actually got the original idea from musicbulletinboards.net They didn't have a picture, so I just took the idea and ran with it. I found the conductor picture online and printed out and colored it. Then the Concert Etiquette is something I found from another music teacher. I'll post it for you if you want to use it at some point. It spells out RESPECT, which I really like. Then the Classroom Expectations is a poster I made specific to my school. You could create this any way you like. I used blue and yellow because those are our school colors! :)

      Delete